Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Growing up


Well, it's been a changing week in the Balfour household...for the two littlest Balfours, anyways. There's been three major developments since your last update:

1.
As of yesterday, at the ripe old age of 17 months and 4 days, Joshua finally became an official walker! Yes, I know I posted a video of him walking towards the camera AGES ago, but that's about all he's done since then. Not that he didn't love walking. He was quite obsessed with and persistent about going for "a WAW!" (a walk) many times during the day (particularly when outside) but would refuse to do so without my index finger squeezed in between his drooly little fingers. Everyone commented on how steady he was, yet he showed no signs of wanting to do it permanently on his own.
Well, Saturday while I was at work (of course!) the Lord answered a prayer I had prayed just that morning. Early in the day I had asked him for a miracle for each one of us (since God is in the business of miracles!), and for Joshua I asked for the miracle of confidence and a desire to walk on his own. I wasn't feeling particularly disturbed or concerned about him not walking, but I had a feeling he would be over the moon if he had a bit more independence. (The old Joshua)

Wouldn't you know, later that afternoon Joshua began walking by himself at the park! At the end of the day when my little family came to pick me up from Hallmark, my jaw hung on the floor as I saw him walking the hallway of the mall...on his own! Life is already completely different. As I'm doing dishes or cooking supper Joshua tirelessly walks 'the circle' (through the kitchen, the dining room, the living room, back to the kitchen). When he enters he proudly yells "BOO!" or "HIYEE!". And as he leaves he yells, "BYE-BYE!" He seriously couldn't be more proud of himself. Today I went to the library with the kids, and for the first time spent a good amount of time chasing after a giggling Joshua, ripping up and down the aisles. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get the child to 'COME'...he's far too excited to listen! (any ideas out there? Ellie always stuck pretty close.)
(The new Joshua)

So, within two days of him walking, he figured out how to walk backwards, run, and walk with a juice cup hanging out of his mouth and something in each hand. He also enjoys walking over obstacles (like blankets) and stepping off small steps. Silly kid! Talk about waiting longer than necessary!

2.
The next major development has to do with Ellie's hair. :) On Thursday morning Ellie and I were scheduled to go for a "haircut date" while leaving Joshua at a friend's house. Ellie LOVES going to the hairdressers, so I usually try to make an occasion of it. Well, Wednesday night I was thinking about this upcoming appointment and with a little nausea in the pit of my belly, decided that it was probably time to cut Ellie's hair short. The hair elastics I've been using (the only ones that stay in) have been tearing Ellie's hair, and she's also been harvesting a whole new crop of wispy shorter hairs that don't fit into any ponytail or braid...which leaves her hair in extreme disarray about 20 minutes after I try combing it! So I talked to Rob - and Ellie - and we all decided it was time for....A BOB! Here are the before and after pictures:
(Ellie before)

(Ellie after..she wasn't much into posing that day :)

3. And lastly, and this one was the best thing of all! Thursday afternoon Ellie decided to ask Jesus into her heart! For those of you who might be unfamiliar, "if you confess with your mouth 'Jesus is Lord' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9) Somewhere along the way folks began using the term 'asking Jesus into your heart' as a way of choosing him to be Lord of your life. Well, after being at our friends' house that day (and Ellie heard Auntie Brenda explaining how her son Justice had asked Jesus into his heart) I suppose Ellie thought it was time to make this decision! I was downstairs putting Joshua down for a nap when Ellie got on the potty and sat there waiting for me to come back and wipe her bum. When I came upstairs she called out from the bathroom, "Mommy, Guess what! I asked JESUS into my heart!" My initial reaction was that she had simply been copying what she heard. So I went in and asked her, "What did it sound like?" And she readjusted herself on the potty so she wouldn't fall in, folded her hands and squeezed her eyes tightly shut and said, "Lord Jesus, please come live in my heart. AMEN. Like THAT Mommy!" And the angels in heaven celebrated...because that's what they do whenever anyone makes that best decision of their lives! I pray that little seed in Ellie's heart will sprout into a lifelong commitment to walking close with God, because that is what she was made to do, and there's nothing in the world that compares to the joy found in knowing Him!!



6 comments:

The Brandt Family said...

What a perfect post Jacki!
I praise the Lord for all the miracles he has granted you this past week!

Kristi said...

Jacki, what a wonderful announcement! How special! I was just 3 when I did the same thing. That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

So Exciting!!!!! Sounds like you had a fantastic week!!! Way to go Ellie, it's the best and most important decision you will ever make!!
(and I really love the bob, too cute)
Lisa Moser

Elleah said...

YAY!! It's all so exciting, especially the last one!! :)

Becky said...

Wow, that is so wonderfully exciting!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Joshua!! Your buddy Justice just figured out the walking thing too & now his legs are all covered with scratches & bruises from his many adventures in the great outdoors - I think he likes being outside just like you do!

And Ellie - at first I was sad to think of your adorable wispy long hair being cut, but when I saw the pictures of your new do, I was shocked to discover that you had somehow become EVEN cuter!! I love it! And I'm so excited about your decision to love Jesus forever - congratulations!! I pray that you continue to discover just how amazing He is & how great it is to love Him & be loved by Him. You're awesome!