Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Chest botherings and mouth gates.

(This is Ellie pretending to be "Ming Ming" from her movie "Wonder Pets". But the necklace with the change purse and swiping card at the bottom is what Ellie wears whenever she's pretending to be Daddy going to work to make pills. She puts her hard-earned money in the change purse...you get the picture. This is all totally off-topic.)

So the other night when Rob and I were trying to watch a movie, Ellie was having difficulty falling asleep. Every 15 minutes or so for about an hour she would suddenly start crying. Rob went in to her the first three times, and every time she said something different was bothering her. The fourth time I went in, equipped with some Motrin. Our conversation went a little like this:
Mom: "Ellie, what's bothering you?"
Ellie: "Um....um....my chest is bothering."
Mom: "Your chest? What does it feel like?"
Ellie:" It feels....owie."
Mom:"Well, I brought you some medicine to make all your owies feel better."
Ellie (shooting STRAIGHT up): "MEDICINE!!?!?"
(she drinks it all up)
Mom: "Okay, now there'll be now more crying. Just sleeping."
Ellie, giving me her best puppy-dog eyes: "You kiss me? On my cheek and on my eyes?"
Mom (snickering): "I love you Ellie." (gives the requested kisses)
Ellie: "I lub you too, Mommy. Kiss me on my eyebrow?"
Mom (smiling): "Good night, Ellie."

And all was silent.

Well, the next morning, Ellie was asking for medicine again. I figured she was just trying to con me out of more of the good-tasting purple juice. So I quizzed her further.
Mom: "Where does it hurt?"
Ellie (pointing in her mouth): "In 'ere'" (in there)
Mom: "In your mouth?"
Ellie: "Yes, in my mouth."
Mom: "Where in your mouth?"
Ellie: "In 'ere. In the gate of my mouth."

Now, I don't know exactly what the 'gate' of one's mouth is, but Rob decided to examine Ellie and lo and behold - she's got one and a half of her 2 year molars! I'd long since given up checking for those things, never mind giving her anything for the discomfort. I guess those teeth aren't just a myth, after all.

No comments: