Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The newest Balfour!

No, I'm not pregnant. Our newest addition is sweet, blissfully quiet, and wonderfully low-maintenance. He's a fish.
Meet Purple Balfour:That's right, folks - we are pet owners!!
A friend of mine works at the pet store and she decided to surprise Ellie with a fish. Ellie was totally pumped! She saw him in there and exclaimed, "It's a FISHY! He's CUUUUUTE!" She named him Purple and we've put him in the bathroom so that 1. She can't stick her gooey little hands in the bowl and accidentally kill him when we're not looking and 2. It keeps potty time exciting. I can get Purple to say anything I want like, "Oh, Purple says he really wants to see a poop today," or "Purple wants you to stay on the potty for just another minute so he doesn't get lonely." (Is that called manipulation? :) Anyhow, it's kind of fun. This is Ellie's first real 'responsibility'. She has to feed Purple before she gets breakfast...which she loves doing, of course. We're not really pet people so it'll be interesting to see how long we can keep this little guy alive. We'll give it our best shot. Welcome to the family, Purple!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

That's great!

Allison said...

We had a fish just like that. Jack (was it a he, I have no clue) lived almost 2 years I was surprised at our luck with the little guy. I miss him sometimes. Who knows maybe someday we'll get another. I love the ones in bowls. So much easier to take care of than those big tanks. We had a tank for awhile too, don't miss it. Congratulations on becoming pet owners!!!

Elleah said...

That's a great idea to use the fish to try to get Ellie to go on the potty! Hope it works. :)