I didn't think I would be, but I was totally one of those moms the day Ellie went back to school this year. I cried for 2 hours, folks. Embarrassing. I think I was grieving life as it's been since I became a mom. Ellie has just...always been here, chattering away, oozing creative energy, leading imaginary play and generally bringing sunshine to all of us. The prospect of her being gone all day, every day was so different from normal that it required a little bit of grieving. I'm thankful for friends who don't mind (and laugh at me) when I call them because I can't pull it together.
Of course the boys and I (and Gloria) have discovered our new normal and we have lots of fun in a much more boyish way. (I've gotten really good at Lego).
Grade 1 Ellie is hilarious and full of life. She's one of the girliest girls you'll ever meet, but she's fearless in the water, climbing trees (to the top), skateboarding, riding bike, etc.. She is determined to learn to do a handstand. Her hands are callused because she is forever practicing the monkey bars. She did not inherit this from me! She devours books, comes up with CRAZY outfits and hairdos, works super hard to get good at piano, has music/stories-on-tape playing at all times, eats as much as me, and makes friends wherever she goes.
She still loves all things pink and purple.
She wants to be a teacher/violin player/artist/hairdresser/mom/pastor's wife/farmer's wife/vet when she grows up.
Ellie's heart comes alive when she discovers an area in the world/in her life that needs help or prayer.
She often dreams up new ways to make money for the poor/needy.
Her best part of her day is 'chatting'. Whenever that might be.
Her only fear, that I know of, is too much silence.
She loves to colour. And she brings colour to the world!
![]() |
| (Dad made Ellie her favourite breakfast on the first day of school - cornbread muffins) |
Mr. Joshy Bosh is rocking preschool. This change did not make me cry. (I can handle two afternoons a week. Talk to me in two years - grade 1. :)
Each day he comes home with a few more names of people he likes.
And a few names of people he wishes didn't always sit by him.
Preschool Josh is also hilarious. By far our most sensitive guy, he had not one ounce of nerves going to preschool that first day. I asked him if he had butterflies, and he replied, "No, I just need to tap dance!" And he did.
I asked him if he was nervous for show-n-tell yesterday, and he said, "Nope! I'm just going to tell them that I made my Lego robot all by myself and his hands move!" And he did.
Preschool Josh loves words and is always experimenting using new ones. Tonight I told him he needed to make a card for his cousin in the morning before his birthday party. Josh said, "You mean, I need to make that card PRONTO?" He talks about as much as Ellie does. Usually both at the same time.
This guy could play Lego for hours, seems to have a gift for (accurately) drawing whatever he can think up, loves to sound out words and write things down, and is trying super hard to read. He would ride bike everywhere if we let him. His smile is super winsome.
His best part of his day is always 'wrestling with Dad'.
His biggest fear is heights and older kids he doesn't know.
He loves everything blue or having to do with dogs.
He wants to be a lifeguard when he grows up, so he can swim AND save people.
Josh comes alive when you ask him to do a 'man job'...like taking out the trash, or lifting something heavy.
He prays with passion. God answers. He seems to really get difficult truths about God.
Ice cream dates also make him come alive.
Again, I'm super thankful Josh has the opportunity to learn in a Jesus-loving environment. So pumped that he's adapting well to a big group of kids (groups are not always his favourite) and that he gets the thrill of packing his snack, going somewhere special, and being his own little man while Ellie's not here.
![]() |
| Josh with cousin Drew, in the same class! |















No comments:
Post a Comment