I think when God sent us Josh, He knew we needed someone to add laughter to our house.
And laughter is exactly what Josh gives us.
Lately Josh has particularly enjoyed praying with great gusto and expression.
Before any meal, him and Ellie usually have a quick bicker over who will pray first. Ellie's prayers are most often poetic, and she attempts to rhyme her sentences and include words like 'sun' and 'flower' and 'heart'.
Josh's sound a little more like this:
"Thank you LORD that there's a PARTY in my TUMMY! And thank you for cinnamon bagels and baNAAAANAAAA. And thank you LORD that we're GOOD at not ARGURING (arguing) and thank you LORD that we're GREAT FRIENDS. Aaaaymen."
or how about
"Dear Jesus. Help me to have a gooood BULLDOZER. But not real. And thank you that I LOVE BULLDOZERS. Aaaaymen."
or maybe
"Dear God. Thank you that I will grow, and please help me to grow into a SINEY (shiny) armour! Aaaaaymen."
Recently my friend Elleah shared that her daughter Kiera (age 3) had asked Jesus into her heart. I was impacted as Elleah shared about how much prayer she had put into her daughter's decision, and was strongly impressed that I began doing the same for Josh (Ellie also asked Jesus into her heart at age 3 which you can read about here).
I could tell that since Christmas his understanding of things and life and Jesus had 'matured' (if you can call it that for a preschooler) and one day soon he'd get it. Two times recently, for instance, when I've been standing in line with Josh to get communion at our church, he's looked up at me spontaneously and whispered, "I forgive you that I disobeyed you."...and it's like something in his heart knows that as we're about to remember Jesus dying on the cross for our brokenness, we need to make things right with others.
As though something in his heart was telling him that he needs a Saviour, too.
Well this week another friend shared that her daughter had asked Jesus into her heart. I told Ellie one morning at breakfast (because I knew she'd be excited) and explained to Josh that whenever one person asks Jesus to be the King of their life, the angels in heaven have a party. I finished by saying, "Josh, if you ever feel ready to do that, you just let me know, okay?"
And was about to go butter the bagels when I heard,
"Okay. I'm ready!"
And just like that, he (enthusiastically) invited Jesus to be the King in his little heart.
And if I am very honest half of me thought, "Josh has no clue what he just did."
Which is probably partly true.
The other half of me prayed, "LORD JESUS...grow that little seed into a tree with
deep deep roots of faith in the One and Only Living God!"
All of us begin somewhere.
And so the angels celebrated. Again! And one day we'll be there, celebrating too,
with a party of proportions our minds can't even comprehend.
In the meantime, we have little gifts of laughter sent from heaven, sometimes in the form of Josh. I'll leave you with a few more of my favourite recent Josh moments:
After getting dressed for the day it's not uncommon for Josh to say something like, "This is my COOL DUDE shirt. Now I look BANKASTIC! (fantastic)"
And because I know Josh thinks 'cool dudes' are where it's at, sometimes I'll come into his room at bedtime and say something like, "Hey, Cool Dude."
And then he says,
"I'm not a coool duuuude. I'm just Joshy. I don't love cool dudes. I just love trains, and cars, and Bob de Builder."
And I ask, "So, what do you think you might be when you grow up, if you love those things?"
Josh (without hesitating): "A SINEY (shiny) ARMOUR!"
Me: "Ooooh. That sounds BRAVE!"
Josh: "And I will KILL the bad guys! (insert something like sword sound effects)"
Me: "Wow! That sounds REALLY brave!"
Josh: "Actually....I won't be a siny armour. I will be...
I will be....
I will be...
A WORM!"
Me: "A WORM!?"
Josh: "A worm! And I will WIGGLE IN DA MUD!"
(the very next morning he declared he would be a dinosaur...but that he wouldn't eat me.)
How about this conversation in the doctor's office:
Josh: "Can I sit in that chair?" (secretary's chair)
Me: "Only if you work here!"
Josh: "Is it for girls?"
Me: "Usually."
Josh: "I'm a girl!"
Me: "Uh...actually you're a boy."
Josh: "I AM a girl!"
Me: "Josh, you're a boy. You love dinosaurs and trains."
Josh: "I'm a GIRL. I love ballerinas."
Me: "Then show me your ballet dancing."
And he did. Right there in the doctor's waiting room. I wasn't the only one laughing. :)
And finally, a friend's dear, elderly mother recently passed away. For the sake of privacy we'll call our friend "Bob."
Rob told Josh to come upstairs one morning and eat breakfast and pray for Uncle Bob because his mommy had died. Josh came upstairs with a look of (mock) shock on his face and said, "MOMMY! Uncle Bob DIED!"
We all chuckled and Rob corrected Josh, "No, his MOMMY died."
Josh looked at me, even more shocked, pointed, and said,
"Mommy YOU died!"
When we had finally managed to explain to you what had really happened, you prayed,
"Dear Jesus. Help Uncle Bob's mommy not to be dead on the cross. Amen."
Josh, thanks for the hilarity.
God has made you great at putting smiles (as big as your own) on our faces.
I pray that as Jesus becomes really real to you,
your own joy would increase by thousands and millions.
Because that's what Jesus tends to do to people.






3 comments:
Beautiful! What a funny kid! So wonderfully exciting that he asked Jesus into his life and at the exact age that Kiera was! :)
he is such a JOY! <3 love the post!
I so glad he said he wouldn't eat you when being a dinosaur. I love kids. Especially your Joshy :) :). He's one of them that has stolen my heart. I too pray for Joshy that he will continue to take in more and more of Jesus as his little heart grows. I need to pray more for Ki. In my heart of hearts I don't think it will be far off thou. Bless your home dear friend.
Post a Comment