It started out alright. On the weekend of the 20th and the 21st we had two family gatherings that were fun. Ellie and my niece Regan are at that wonderful age where they go off and play well together, so Rob and I had a lot of time to reconnect with relatives and eat lots of delicious food.
Monday the 22nd Joshua began doing little gagging coughs in the car while we were running errands. In the night I woke up 3 or 4 times to hear him gagging on his throw-up...tiny little pukes that didn't really make any sense. We were hoping he had just eating something a little off.
Christmas Eve we all woke up feeling pretty good. When I went into Ellie's room I told her it was Christmas Eve. "Christmas EVE!?!?" she repeated, "I hab to gib Santa a BIIIIG hug and gib him a candy cane!" I found this rather surprising, seeing as Ellie's been terrified of Santa her whole short life. "We need to go to the mall and see Santa at his workshop!" Ellie begged. I didn't promise her anything seeing as Rob and I were both working all day, and she and Josh were going to my parents' for the day. Well it didn't take much twisting for Ellie to convince her Auntie Leila to take her to the mall. Apparently it took three tries, and on the third try Santa noticed Ellie shyly watching him from a distance, and he waved and told her she had nice boots. WELL! If there's any way to win over a little girl like Ellie, it's to talk about her apple boots. She was 100% sold. I happened to peek out the window of the Hallmark store where I work just then, and saw her sitting on his lap! I quickly ran out just in time to see them get this photo of her:
Needless to say, Christmas morning we were all exhausted, except for Joshua who was now over the flu but had begun teething again. My mom graciously took him for the day while Rob slept, Ellie watched videos and slept, and I did mounds of yucky laundry and cleaned the bathrooms.
Rob and Ellie recuperating together (he's tickling her hand...hence the hypnotized look on her face:)
My flu never manifested itself aside from feeling nauseous ...and it's still kinda stuck in there (there are benefits and disadvantages to not being a puker!) So needless to say, we forfeited the gifts on Christmas day, and never got around to baking the birthday cake for Jesus that we had intended to.Boxing day we all felt much better, so we decided to let the kids open their gifts from us and Grandpa and Grandma Balfour then. But as you'll soon tell from the photos, everyone was still really wiped, and there wasn't much enthusiasm to be found about anything:
We've all been kinda sleepy and groggy ever since. The biggest blessing of it all is that the kids have been sleeping some 13 hour nights, and Rob and I are getting lotttts of much needed rest!
So anyhow, this wasn't the Christmas I had envisioned for our little family - at all. And I would LOVE to be able to tell you that my attitude was great through the whole thing. But it wasn't. I did alright while everyone was puking as we were all in survival mode, but the next day the disappointment of it all really hit me, and I found myself actually getting angry about it. As much as I would have liked to believe that Jesus was the reason I was excited about Christmas, the truth was exposed when my favourite traditions went down the tubes (or shall we say, the toilet?) and I got grumpy about it. Already looking back I can see it was good that I was forced to turn to Jesus in a big way this Christmas and realize again how great my need for Him really is. I am speechless that he came to earth so he could die for a sinner like me. What a wonderful Saviour. There was no hype for us this Christmas. But Jesus was in the house. What more could I ask for?
p.s. Stay tuned for (hopefully) a more upbeat post at the end of this week. Rob is still on holidays and we plan on having a dang good time with our little family. :)
3 comments:
Jacki, your Christmas blog, has me in tears. We totally had the same kind of Christmas, it's just not fun! I had to keep telling myself, we sure have been blessed, but I am sure happy to say Christmas is over for this year, and hopefully next year will be better!
Blessings!!!
LisaMoser
I'm sick in bed as I'm reading this, although thankfully it only hit me after Christmas. I pray this week goes much better for you all!
I'm sorry about all the sickness! Ellie's attitude always encourages me and motivates me to be more thankful!
Post a Comment