Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

A different sort of Christmas...

I woke up this morning and thought, "Huh! It's Thursday! Blog day!" And realized that I had absolutely nothing to blog about! WHO is this girl and where did the real Jacki go?

I'm still here, and I've (surprisingly) been enjoying this recent season of non-activity. For some reason, as the winter weather has moved in, I've become a lover of being at home, cozy with my kids. Perhaps it has something to do with how difficult it is to bundle up TWO little bodies. Perhaps it's just because Ellie is so much fun to play with right now. Puzzles, play dough, "house", "teacher"...all things I did as a child and I immensely enjoy re-living with my girl! Or perhaps I'm just learning the value of being content.

Which brings me to the video I've posted. I saw it on someone else's blog and it hit me hard! THIS is exactly what I want to embrace this Christmas! It was my dad who started it, really. He thought it would be neat if our family ditched the presents this year and put all the money we would have spent on gifts towards building a house for a family in Africa. (It only costs $550 to do this! A whole house!) So that's what we're aiming to do. And whenever I think about a family getting their first decent house EVER, this...feeling...creeps into my chest, and I realize that it's pure, utter, JOY!

Also, our Christmas is just shaping up in a really weird way this year: all our 'events' and gatherings are happening in a big rush before Christmas. And Rob and I both work right up until 4:30 Christmas Eve. And then suddenly there's....

NOTHING. No plans for a full week.

And at first I felt dismayed, because I LOVE Christmas festivities! But after watching this video I thought A HA! Here's my opportunity to celebrate the most Christmasiest of Christmas's!! A whole week at home with my little family, baking cookies, reading stories, celebrating Jesus, and having people over to join us. I can hardly wait.


How about you? Is there anything YOU'D like to do differently this year?

7 comments:

Elleah said...

I'm SO excited for the people in poor countries who are going to be so blessed this Christmas! Like I told you, our family is doing a similar thing as your's and it is really sinking in for me that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

The Brandt Family said...

My challenge this year is to teach Ashley what Christmas is REALLY about, and I hope I can succeed. We are putting together shoe boxes and giving toys to christmas hampers. I really hope that I will be able to explain it to her in a way that she will understand and that she will continue to look forward to doing stuff like this in the future.

Janie said...

Jacki! Thanks for the link! I had no idea you had a blog!! I linked back to you!

My Christmas is going to be insanely different this year...so I can't really control it. But I will live through other people's Christmases!

Take care!

Kimberly said...

That is so awesome that you're all doing it together as a family. Josh and I started making donations the bulk of the gifts last year with something small and useful attached. It went over rather well so I think it's a tradition we will make a part of every Christmas. World Vision makes it very easy and fun!

Unknown said...

The church Patrick used to work at was apart of Advent Conspiracy and actually helped start it. It is pretty neat to see that it has spread all the way to Manitoba!! :) I am all about less stuff and more time. As believers we are called to set apart and if we are joining in the consumption version of Christmas how are we honoring Christ? I keep asking myself that everytime I think oh I need to get that person something. Great post, Jacki.

Kristi said...

My Christmas is going to be a little crazy this year! I'm spending 6 out of 8 nights over the Christmas week with laboring or postpartum moms. I'm there Christmas Eve through Boxing Day included! It's a bit of a different way to spend the holidays but someone's gotta be there!

I really enjoyed the video! Good blog and great ideas to think about!

Allison said...

On my parents side we are skipping the gift giving to each other. Well my parents bought something for each of the grandkids. We are instead buying gifts to a single dad family of 5 kids. After a failed marriage and the stuggles that can follow that. He's (the dad) been left with nothing and the kids mother through out all their toys/stuff so they really don't have anything. So plan is to buy them each a few gifts and we are praying how we could be of blessing to this dad. We also our praying about which cause to donate to this year. We really all don't need some random gift. It really is more blessed to give then receive. I can't wait tell our budget allows more spontaneous giving and less trying to get by. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!!