Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Celebrating Rob

This last week Rob caught up to me yet again and turned 28. I think this is the first time I didn't throw him some sort of surprise party. He was such a poop last year trying to figure it all out (and he did) that I promised I'd lay my superb surprise party throwing skills down indefinitely. And I remained true to my word! But that didn't keep us from celebrating our favourite man in the world, no it didn't!
On Thursday night was Ellie's turn to celebrate her Dad (Josh mostly just observed). Her and I went shopping together in the morning for a 'secret present' for Rob that she picked out all by herself...from the Dollar Store, of course. As we were strolling hand in hand to the store I asked her what she thought Daddy might like for his birthday. Her answers ranged anywhere from "a big, wide door", to "a big white dog", to "a big pink dolly". :) Anything big, I guess! In the afternoon her and I baked Daddy's "fabrit" (favourite) cake - "a big pink one!" She was so pumped about her gift for Rob - and I think he was pretty pumped too: A huge rubber beetle and a bag full of cheap plastic golf balls. Immediately after he opened the gift Ellie responded as any two-year old would - she stripped off her shirt so that she 'wouldn't get hurt' and proceeded to whack golf balls with a broom all over the house.
There's the 'big pink cake'. Thank you, Betty Crocker.

Friday was my turn. My mom and dad took the kids for the afternoon/evening and I whisked Rob away to the city for an afternoon at (drum roll please!)
the MUSEUM!
Yeah, we ARE nerds, but being a nerd is quite fun. Take a look for yourself:

We hung out with the dinosaurs...

Played on a big ship...

Bonded with some caribou...

And even had a near death experience with some buffalo and a dude with a gun!

But the highlight of the museum was definitely the poop drawer. What is a poop drawer, you ask? We were wondering the same thing. Ironically, I was taking a little washroom break when I decided to take a closer look at the map I had in my hand. It highlighted the best attractions of every section of the museum. In the grasslands section we were about to go to, it had a bullet point that said, "Poop drawer". So Rob and I set out to find out what this was. Sure enough, we came to this glass display case with all sorts of stuffed carcasses inside, and below it were oh, I don't know, 30 drawers? So Rob and I began opening these drawers one by one and found everything from dead birds (displayed under glass) to tiny bugs and seashells. Finally, in the second-to-last drawer we looked in, we hit the jackpot. Ladies and gentlemen, the poop drawer:
That's real poop, folks! Isn't that disgusting? So fun.
Anyhow, by the end of our tour, I felt a little like this lady here:
Dead tired! But there was more to do. I actually did have a little surprise for Rob up my sleeve. Or, more accurately, in a little envelope. A couple weeks ago I stashed away some money I made taking someone's family photos and didn't tell Rob. I knew he wouldn't be all that excited about it right away (and I was right) but I took him shopping for a new hoodie (shopping ain't on his top 10 list of things to do on a date):
And we found a really great one almost right away! This is Rob looking giving me an 'I'm too cool for my shirt' look in the mall. I don't actually have a picture of the hoodie, but I'm sure you'll all see it soon enough, because when he gets something he really likes, he wears it pretty much every day. I think it's a guy thing. It'll be in the photos. Just keep a look out. :)
Anyhow, then it was off to the Old Spaghetti Factory for supper, reminiscent of our honeymoon in Victoria. The food was a little average, but the price was AWESOME! Apparently if you tell your server that it's someone's birthday, their meal is free! And you get a song!
How fun is that? Look at the happy birthday boy, twizzler and all!
Here's Rob enjoying his complimentary ice cream. Eye-bulging deliciousness.
Here's my eye-bulging enjoyment of the free goodness.
We got home surprisingly early and watched a movie together. A super wonderful day with a super wonderful guy. I'm so thankful God picked him for me!!
Happy (belated) Birthday, Hun!

Oh. Before I forget: Susan, I took this photo at the museum JUST for YOU!
The SNAKE PIT!!! hehe

Anyhow, I so enjoyed all your input last week as to which family photo to print (and I think I'll go with Lisa Moser's suggestion and print some of both!), I thought I'd ask for input once again. I have been humming and hawing about whether or not to cut this boy's hair. What do you think?

Cut it short and style-able, or let it grow and see what happens?
It's at the 'drivin' me nuts!' stage. Do tell.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Either would be fine....

I think he would look cute with a little hair cut. I'm remembering some spikes in previous pictures that were quite cute =)

Lisa Clark said...

ooooo, tuff one. Long haircut can be so deliciously cute, or so so so bad for a very long time, and emerg still slightly off unless slathered with product. We've had the same dilemna. Eventually, the hair gets bad enough that we cave and cut. We have yet to have a boy with long hair!

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROB!! It looks like your wife and kids know exactly what you like. You have a pretty special family. And I totally know about the new hoodie that becomes the favorite - Patrick is still wearing the same jacket that he has had since we got married. He calls it his house coat! Pretty funny except he wears it out of the house too - that's not so funny. Maybe I should drag him shopping too! :)

La'el said...

Ah, the museum... Such good times to be had there. I love that place! And I'm pretty sure I toook a very similar picture of the snake pit.