NEWFLASH: Mama slept through the night! Well, almost.
I kid you not, folks. I just about slept through the night last night. Some of you may not realize that Rob and I and our two kids live in a 2-bedroom fourplex. Not ideal for a growing family, but definitely great for an apartment and you can't beat our neighbours! Anyhow, because of this whole 2 bedroom dealy, Joshua's little crib is located snuggly in our walk-in closet. It's actually a great arrangement - in some ways. I walk precisely 4 steps to get to him in the night, it's very cozy, and if we close the closet door part way it's dark in there at any time of day. Setback: I wake up - ALL. NIGHT. LONG! I am one of the world's lightest sleepers, and even with a fan on in the room and an earplug in one of my ears, I wake up almost every time Joshua stirs. And if he stirs too much, I DO something about it, like put his soother back in, or whatever, so that I can go back to sleep.
Well, last night I'd had it. I was so terribly exhausted from 5 months of waking up anywhere from 2-6 times a night that I rolled out of bed and went looking on the internet for 3 bedroom houses for rent...and didn't find anything. Then a new idea hit me (from the Lord? who knows!) Get a playpen. Stick the kid upstairs (our bedrooms are downstairs) far far away from my overstimulated eardrums. So thanks to a little advertising on Facebook, 12 hours later I was the proud lender of a playpen (thanks Elleah!). Once Josh was in bed for the night at 7:45pm, I set up the playpen in our pantry (which is converted into a toy room. Hey - you do what you got to do in a space like ours!) and after his 10:30 night snack bottle I put him to sleep for the rest of the night in there. Not without a bit of anxiety, mind you. That's awfully far away. But I had the monitor snuggled up right beside my pillow, set just loud enough to hear the little guy CRY...and not loud enough to hear him grunt!
So if I didn't have another child in my house I would have slept through the night. Ellie must have had a nightmare or something because she woke up screaming and then fell straight back asleep the moment I came into her room. But besides that, I didn't really wake up all night! Did Joshua? I have no idea. He did have a poop in his diaper when I got him at 6:30am, but it must not have bugged him enough to keep him awake! He was out of his swaddle, his arms sprawled, sootherless...and sleeping. What a sweet sweet sight for these tired eyes!
Now, after saying all that, I must warn you (and myself) that I will probably not sleep happily ever after from this night on. No, generally when one shares news like this with others, things...change...the night after. So I'm not expecting perfection. But I am hoping for improvement! I am full of hope! Here is the face I was greeted with this morning:
Why'd you leave me all alone mom?!? :) Just joking. That's Joshua's "I'm stunned by a flash in my face at 6:30 in the morning" face. Wow, that was mean of me. But really he felt more like this:
Finally! Mom let me sleep on my own!!
In other news...
1. We finally got our new double stroller! Well, it's not technically a double - it's more like a seat and a half. It's called the BabyTrend Sit 'n Stand and it's virtually impossible to get in Canada. And it's often out of stock in the cities that are near us in the US. And they don't ship to Canada. So finally Rob's brother James (who lives in California) was gracious enough to go and buy it for us and ship it to us. And we're pumped! THANKS JAMES!!In other news...
3. After many tears and much complaining, Joshua's second tooth sliced through his tender swollen gums during his morning nap today. Before his nap I could see it, but not feel it. After his nap - VOILA. Tooth number two! Good thing, too, since his mouth was starting to look a bit uneven. Here he is showing off his latest accomplishment:
2 comments:
It's always a journey constantly learning our childrens new stages and needs. I love that "double stroller."
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Just in case we decide to buy one when we return our borrowed double stroller in August. It's Jacki Klippensteins and their having another baby mid-August. Call me today if it doesn't rain. A walking we could go!
P.S. I found the purple sock and also Ellie's bib, if your missing it. I'll get it to you soon if I don't see you today.
Hurray for a good night's sleep! We had to kick both our babies out of our room very early on because of all their noises and I think they slept better for it. They certainly had happier parents for it! Here's hoping and praying the good nights continue!
Post a Comment