Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mmmm! That's NUMMY!

The other day I was vacuuming up a storm (that's actually a joke...vacuuming is a slow, painful process these days) and Ellie was happy and busy around the house, playing with a little white measuring cup that she loves. I sometimes put a few drops of water in there which she joyfully slurps up with abandon and declares, "MMMMM! That's NUMMY!" If there's no real water in there, she's happy to pretend there is, and often shouts out the same thing. So I thought nothing of it when Ellie ran up to me with a huge grin on her face yelling over the noise of the vacuum, "Mmm! Nummy!". Then she did again, only this time with the front of her shirt all wet. It only took a moment for my swollen pregnant brain to register that there is only ONE place in the house where there is water readily available at Ellie's height. I immediately shut off the vacuum, grabbed Ellie's hand, and we marched to the bathroom where my nightmares were realized: the toilet seat was covered in water. "Ellie!" I said. "Did you drink water from here?" Her response? "MMMMMMM! It's NUMMY!" Now if any of you have any idea how to get it through to a 21 month old that toilet water is actually a really gross thing to drink when you are on the floor laughing and can't for the life of you keep a straight face, well, you can feel free to let me know. In the meantime, all I can do is thank my lucky stars that there was no toilet cleaner or pee (or worse) in there. And keep the door closed.

2 comments:

jed_elly said...

that's really funny! and you're right - it could have been a LOT worse! i can't believe you have 15 days to go... these due dates are approaching way too fast and way too slow.
sorry i have no words of wisdom, james hasn't actually drank the toilet water yet.
talk to you soon, elly

Kimberly said...

Wow! That's impressive! So far no toilet adventures here but I think that's only due to having to keep all doors closed with Katie right now. If it were just Aiden I'm sure we'd have a lot more adventures!
You're almost done! That's crazy! Are you guys going to be at the Christmas gathering?