Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Arrival of Gloria: the first two weeks.

Are you ready for the longest blog post you've ever read? I think this might be it. (Baby brain is at it's finest right now, and I don't want to forget this precious stage of our lives!)

On July 9, 2012 our lives were forever changed for the better - AGAIN - when
Gloria Amariah Grace
made her long-awaited, much anticipated appearance.
I know a lot of people (okay - women people) love to hear birth stories and several people have asked about Gloria's, so here it goes! If you're not into that sort of thing, skip over to the pictures. :)

With this pregnancy I had nesting syndrome worse than ever before (every day hard core to-do lists for at least a month, cleaning, sorting, weekly trips delivering boxes of stuff to MCC, throwing everything I could justify into the garbage...) and I became more organized than I've ever been in my LIFE! This is not necessarily a bad thing, knowing that four kids bring their own sweet chaos to every aspect of life. My suitcase was ready a week in advance with a list of things to add last-minute, and as with every birth, I planned on at least doing my hair before I went to the hospital, so that we could take a nice family photo once the baby was born. Silly? Oh yes. Silly I am. (Please do realize that with Josh and Micah I had at least 12 hours of labour BEFORE heading to the hospital which made you know, doing things like hair possible!)
My plan was to be on top of things.
But, sometimes God likes to take our plans and TOSS THEM so we trust Him more. :) I'm okay with that. Here's the story of July 9th:

My mom and dad had taken Ellie and Josh to a cabin for the day, and Rob and I were happy to have a day to just be with Micah (who seldom has alone time with us) and run a few errands and rest. We did run errands, do groceries, and even went to the park and ate the chips we bought on sale - but I felt really 'weird' all day. I kept telling Rob, "my body's definitely getting ready to give birth!" because I was much more uncomfortable than usual, and had strange cramps that would come and go; not contractions, really, just funny cramps.  Rob said he knew something was up because I became increasingly quiet and indecisive as the day went on...and quiet and indecisive Jacki Balfour is not!

Around 4:45 in the afternoon I told Rob I was going to take a shower, just in case I went into labour, so I'd have you know, nice clean hair at the hospital. (I know - get over your hair Jacki! :) I hopped in the shower and after a few minutes of pretty intense cramps I suddenly felt my water break! I was in a bit of shock and disbelief because with Josh and Micah both, my doctor had to break my water for me right towards the end of two REALLY LONG labours. (That being said, I had asked the Lord for my water to break at home. I had also asked for a quick labour. Hmm...) Just then Rob popped his head in the bathroom and said, "You okay, hun?" to which I feebly responded, "Uh, I think my water broke?"
Rob said, "Yeah, I know. I felt like the Lord told me to check on you." I totally love my husband.

Well, RIGHT THEN my contractions started, and they started HARD. I think they were probably 2 or 3 minutes apart right from the start, sometimes even closer. I made a vain attempt to blow-dry my hair, (seriously, folks, you've never seen my hair un-blowdried and it AIN'T pretty!) but it's hard to breathe through contractions while multitasking. I quickly realized that I needed to get to the hospital FAST!

The suitcase that had been sitting and waiting for last minute items to be packed for a week was now flung open, and I carelessly tossed items from our 'to-pack' list in as fast as I could, pausing every two minutes for contractions. I've never seen such a poorly packed suitcase. (That was packed by me, anyways. :)
Rob called our wonderful friend Susan who agreed to get Micah and before 5:30 we were at the hospital. On the way in I had to stop every few steps for a contraction, and I remember a passerby asking, "Oh wow, do you need a wheelchair?" and I was like, "No no! I'll be fine!" (but was sweating bullets).
At the front desk they asked, "Does she need a wheelchair?" to which I responded "YES!!!" because at the rate I was going, I'd have the baby in the elevator.
They admitted me immediately and my contractions were just about on top of each other. As soon as I heaved myself onto the bed I asked, "So, when can I get some drugs??" I was beginning to worry that without breaks in between contractions I would go into panic mode and do un Christ-like things counter-productive to getting a baby out, like scream and punch and throw things. :) In their sweetest voices the nurses stated that they needed to monitor the baby for twenty minutes before deciding about any drugs. So I hung onto the railing of the bed for dear life, and every time a contraction hit I'd say, "ROB! SCRIPTURE!" and he'd tell me one of my verses I'd picked out to help me through or he'd pick and read a new one. Every time he did this, the presence of the Holy Spirit filled my heart with total peace and I would make it through - without anyone getting conked in the the head. :)
So they started monitoring Gloria and her heart rate was very irregular and they decided to put me on oxygen and an IV to help her out. Within the first half hour of being there I went from 3 cm dilated to 8 cm dilated! YIKERS! At the end of that half hour my doctor showed up and at that moment I realized that I act as strangely in trauma and severe pain as I do on morphine and laughing gas! (I always thought it was the drugs, but apparently it's just pain-striken ME!) "Hi Doctor Dyck." I remember saying. "Well, I didn't ruin your weekend!! (It was Monday, remember.) Have you had your supper already?" He just laughed.
At the end of this half hour of contractions I suddenly felt the need to push and was astonished when my doctor said I could. I was greatly encouraged, thinking this labour would be record-breakingly fast! 

But alas, this was when the trouble started.

Gloria's head was stuck sideways, we discovered, and it took 2.5 hours of pushing in every position imaginable (it felt like) before anything really happened. I remember asking my doctor a few times, "Are you SURE there's a baby coming?" trying to find a glimmer of hope. In between pushes I would often just...cry. Pushing felt great, but the pressure of Gloria's head was almost unbearable when I stopped. Rob would wipe my head with a wash cloth and read me scripture and pray. I remember a nurse asking, "Where does this girl get her strength?" ...and thinking to myself in an angry thinking voice, "Aren't you LISTENING to Rob? He just read, 'Not by might, nor by power, but BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord!' THAT'S where I get my strength!" I'm so thankful for my husband, best one in the world for me. Another time I remember the nurse saying, "What a great team you guys make! Rob, you should be a doula!" and I said, "He's also a pastor...that might get awkward." Hehe!

Anyhow, around 8 o'clock in the evening I could feel exhaustion really kick in and wondered if I could keep going. "Pray for 2 more pushes, Rob!" I asked. I believe it was just three pushes and then I could feel that Gloria was ready to come out. THAT is one of the best feelings ever! A few more pushes and there she was, in all her glory, on my belly!! 
I cried - mostly out of relief, and I think the first thing I said was, "Our baby girl! We have our baby girl!"The second thing I said was, "I never have to do that again!!"
Gloria won our hearts instantly. Rob cried like he does every time and worshipped Jesus. 
Then the trauma from pushing for so hard for so long sunk in and I shook violently for over an hour, covered in warm blankets, waiting for my body to regulate itself. Rob prayed for me and took the opportunity to snuggle with his little girl. 

As always, Rob and the baby slept most of the night away while I partied all night with after-contractions, intense hunger (apparently the hospital doesn't serve food at night!), adrenaline rushes and the pure joy of having my baby girl OUT at last!
As always, I waited and waited for them to stir so we could start getting to know each other.

Gloria DID finally wake up and had a surprise for me:
Her first genuine (non-gas related) smile! At 12 hours old she broke the Balfour record (previously held by Micah at 3 days old). 
(Oh and see that wet, uncombed hair two pictures up? I figure God has a marvellous sense of humour - in the rush to leave for the hospital I only forgot to pack two things: my comb and my hat. I think He was preparing me for life with 4 where I'm expecting very little will ever go according to plan!)

The kids came the next morning to meet Gloria and were PUMPED to find out that we did indeed name her the name that they had picked. :) They all fell in love with her instantly.
It's no big surprise that Ellie is over the moon for her little sister and is completely wonderful with her.
Every time she holds her she gets that same, joy-filled, maternal look on her face.

Josh is captivated by Gloria. For the first week or so, whenever given the option, he would choose to stay home 'with Gloria' over going out. He'd say "Hi sweetie! Hi little Cutie!" constantly, and often tell me, "I just love little Gloria." This week she was laying on the floor looking up at him as he talked to her when he declared, "GLORIA! You have such pretty eyes!! And what a beautiful face!" Between Josh, Micah, and her daddy, Gloria won't have a hope of feeling un-cherished. 

Micah was unsure only for a moment. Since then he ravishes Gloria with kisses many times a day, asks to "Hole Ho-ee-ah" (hold Gloria) often, and his favourite: he puts his hand by her head and waits for her to move, tickling his skin with her hair, then squeals in delight! 

Her eyes have only been poked three times so far. :)



Our two dear friends (and Rob's co-pastors) surprised us with a visit and made us giggle with their enthusiasm about visiting during non-visiting hours with their clergy passes.

By 2:00pm that day we were home (I love my doctor - he always let's us home early!) and Rob got busy taking care of my hunger issues: the steak we had bought the day before (on the day I 'just felt weird') was now put to use to replenish my energy! He went all out with sparkling apple juice and everything. I felt like a queen...
...with my very own little princess!

Gloria's first story time :)


Daddy and his girl having a chat.

Totally forgot to take a 'going home from the hospital' photo...so here's a 'going back to the hospital to get my heel pricked' photo the next day. :)

Back from the hospital and rosy cheeked - it was HOT!

Visit from cousin Regan.

Resting in Daddy's arms.

I love how serene those first few days always are...especially thanks to my mom and dad, who watch our other kiddos until we feel somewhat normal. I think we even got a little bored...
...because all they do is sleep! (at first)


Piano hands!
We spent countless hours memorizing this new face:

A little taste of Heaven on Earth!

The kids came home when Gloria was three days old, and we began to discover our new normal.
(This is probably one of my favourite pictures - our first baby girl holding our youngest baby girl and loving it!)

A quiver full of blessings!

First bath! Not a big fan!

Three day old sleeping beauty:
I often get asked, "How did you get her name?" Want that story? Here it is.
GLORIA:
We were planning on naming Micah "Gloria", had he been a girl. I loved it, and every time I heard or read the saying, "Soli Deo Gloria" (Glory to God alone) I thought it would be a magnificent name for a girl, reminding us and her of God's glory each day she was alive. Well, we went to our ultrasound with Micah and, lo and behold, he was a boy! The ultrasound technician was amused with us because we had been so certain we were going to have a girl named 'Gloria'...and she was really a HE!
So when we went back for our ultrasound THIS pregnancy, two years later, she remembered us!!
When it came time for her to announce the gender of our baby, she declared, "Gloria is BACK!" :)

I wasn't so certain. With each baby so far we've 'ditched' our 'other gendered' name from the baby before and have prayed about a new one. But Rob was still quite smitten with the name Gloria. 
He even preached a sermon on how when women gain weight during pregnancy they aren't getting 'fatter', they are getting 'more glorious'. 'Glory' actually means 'weighty' in Hebrew!
Then the kids somehow got it in their heads (perhaps they remembered from Micah? I don't know) that we were going to name our girl 'Gloria' and they called her that for the last four months of our pregnancy. I don't think I ever really had an option.
Her name was Gloria, according to three people, and that was final.
I've fallen in love with the name all over again, as I've fallen in love with the girl. :)
Amariah:
One day before we knew the gender of Gloria, I was sitting on the couch reading my bible and I asked the Lord for a girl's name if we were to have a girl. "Amariah" came to mind immediately, though I'd never heard of that name before. Turns out it's in the Bible and it means, "Yahweh has spoken". SO FITTING! You see, Rob and I weren't sure about the timing of baby number four, and I especially wasn't so sure I was ready back in October...when suddenly, one day I was looking at Micah playing by himself and I felt God whisper into my heart, "Micah's ready for his sibling now" and immediately I felt certain that it was a perfect time to complete our family. Yahweh DID indeed speak and made it possible for Gloria to come into the world very shortly after! There are other meanings within the name Amariah which you can ask me about sometime but typing it out would take an eternity and my baby girl is stirring...!
And lastly, GRACE:
Gloria Amariah seemed a bit of a mouthful and a touch incomplete, so Rob and I decided it needed a third name to finish it off. It didn't take long to decide on Grace. Not only was I going to NEED a lot of grace to mother four kids well :)  but I think it's a beautiful word and a beautiful name. Hopefully no one in her school realizes she has three names that spell 'GAG' when you put the initials together. HA!





Ahhh-choo!

Amazing helpers!



Some days their mommy dresses them and combs their hair. Some days she doesn't. :)

Praise Jesus for NANA! My mom has been so wonderful, giving my kids 'days out' at her house a couple times a week so they don't shrivel up from boredom and under stimulation this summer. :) She also comes on Saturday nights for 'Gloria time' while I play with my boys and put them to bed. (Rob and Ellie are at church these nights)

Gloria, your dad loves you so much.

"You want that on vibrate mode, Ho-ee-ah?"

"Looks like you need a push with my cool hat and red super-gloves, Ho-ee-ah!"

This girl better get used to being kissed and fast!


I'm not sure what I'd do without Rob. Not only does he get the older three fed and ready every morning, comes home and helps with lunch and getting Micah down for a nap, and helps with supper, bedtimes, and yard work each night, but he also makes me night snacks like THIS when I mention I don't want something sweet to eat :) My cup runneth over!


One week old and checking out her world!


Oh! There's that smile again!

Josh and Ellie keep things lively by deciding what colour to wear each day.
This was yellow day.

Josh standing guard over Gloria and singing her lullabies:

10 days old - starting to wake up!




I'm still cute too, Ma! Check out this smile!



Daddy captured this sleepy smile one morning:

Gloria (sorta) helped dad and the kids make pancakes for breakfast while I got ready.
What happens when daddy and the kids make pancakes without mom around: they dye them GREEN! (barf!)

This is Gloria trying to tell me with her eyes that her sleeping-in-the-bouncy-seat days are almost over, REFLUX is about to set in, and she'll want to be held most of the day. 
(That being said, she's actually been napping in her bouncy seat for 3 hours this afternoon which is why I MAY actually get this post done today! HOORAH!)

Gloria's biggest interest is currently our coffee table. The coffee table just, you know, stays there, and Gloria looks at it. A lot.


Classic brother moment: Let's show Gloria our BELLY BUTTONS!
I'm not sure that she was terribly impressed.

Gloria's new favourite place to be: tummy to tummy. Poor reflux-y little thing. Thankfully, we've discovered she loves the Baby Bjorn (snuggly) because she's upright, and she'll spend half the day in there if we let her. I'm also super thankful that her nights are organized and I mostly get to sleep when everybody else does! 

We love you so much, sweet Glow-bug. You are a precious gift from Jesus to us, and although it's cliche, we already can't imagine our lives without you!  

3 comments:

Jacquie said...

Wow Jacki!! What a crazy birth story - sometimes when you hear of someone else's story you think, "I could never do that", but when it's you, the grace and strength of God is totally what gets you through. You are amazing & Rob did so great too! I definitely so appreciated Joe's coaching in Eden's delivery & he has been really great with helping with the older kids so I can focus on Eden - thank you God for our husbands! :) I love her name too! I heard someone tell me about Rob's message on pregnant women becoming more glorified & I totally knew it was connected to the name Gloria - so funny! :) You guys are definitely blessed with a beautiful and wonderful quiver - congratulations!

Becky said...

Congratulations Jacki! Thanks for sharing your awesome story:) She is adorable! What a blessing:)

Elleah said...

Wow! God is so good! So happy for you that you have such a great, supportive husband and 4 beautiful, healthy children!