Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer in the City

Okay, looks like I can manage to find time to blog after all! Last weekend our city had its annual summer kick-off event called 'Summer in the City'. Although we were planning on going Saturday, we took a sneak peak on Friday and couldn't resist getting Ellie and Josh each a pony ride. Ellie and I have been reading a chapter book series together called, "Pony Crazed Princess" which has ignited a passion in Ellie for all things pony, as you can tell by her face here:
So the next day we went back without Micah (who had tried to jump out of the tractor train ride the day before). We had an agreement with the kids that we weren't going to go on any rides that cost money, because they wanted to save up for Tinker Town, an amusement park not far from here. There was still PLENTY to do.
Here's Josh in the shades Ellie made him wear, enamoured with a street hockey game:

We obviously couldn't pass by the ponies without another smiley riding moment!

Josh thought it was just as cool, just in a more cowboyish way:

We spent quite a while at what was probably the best petting zoo I've ever been to.
All the animals were super tame and easy to interact with:



Our friends TJ and Amanda from Penner Pumpkins provided everyone with rubber duck water races:

Ellie won! (Rob and I raced, too. I lost and got a weird burning sensation in my chest. Perhaps I should exercise one day.)

Amanda is a seriously talented face painter!

While waiting for Josh to get his face painted, this guy came and gave Ellie a handshake. I thought for a moment she would either bawl or bolt, but she managed to stand her ground and give him a shaky smile...kinda scary, if you ask me!

Josh's turn!

Much to Ellie's delight, there was a huge board with buckets of paint for the kids to have free reign with:

Rob made friends with the Funny Loud Knife-Throwing Guy and got some juggling tips:

Ellie and Josh leaning on one another for moral support during the Knife-Throwing Guy's act:

Josh's version of looking at the camera and smiling:

Can't forget the good times to be had on the bouncy castle!

And Josh's highlight of the day - the bouncy slide. I totally thought he'd be timid. NOT a chance...the higher he bounced and flipped down that slide, the better! Look at the wild euphoria in those eyes:

Stay tuned for more summer hoopla!
(Next up - a visit to the cabin that my mom and dad are renting.
I'm going alone with the kids. It should be...interesting. Prayer always welcome. :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Great post and Great pictures! We skip this years `summer in the city.` We too are saving for Tinker Town. Much cheaper rides and all day fun!