Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ellie-isms


For those of you who are my 'friends' on Facebook, you may have seen that my status (what's the plural of status? stati? statuses? ANYHOW...) lately have often been silly things the kids have said. I've also had a lot of comments strongly urging me to write a book...which I don't intend to do anytime in the near future. So I decided a blog post was in order to celebrate Ellie-isms...the unique, entertaining, and sometimes clever things that are uttered from the mouth of our eldest. Kick back and have a chuckle...we have plenty to spare!

Ellie occasionally "comes up" with fears...little things that she likes to pretend to be afraid of. Perhaps there's a nugget of worry deep down in her little brave heart, but if so, it's not a big nugget. Worry is not her weakness! A few weeks ago her 'fear' was of not having any noise around her at any given time. One morning I asked her to go upstairs and turn off her fan (white noise that she sleeps with). She hesitated, then said, "And don't worry. I won't be afraid. When I turn off my fan, I'll quickly RUN downstairs before the 'not noise' monster comes!"
(For the record - the "not noise" monster has not visited our house since Ellie was born!)

Ellie: "Chloe has an Anne of Green Gables doll."
Me: "How did you remember the name 'Anne of Green Gables'?" (I've never talked about it.)
Ellie: "I just put it in my brain and I remembered!"
Me: "Huh. I should try that. How do you put it in your brain?"
Ellie: "Well, I just run, and I catch it. Then I put it in my head and I mix it into my brain!"
It's just that easy, folks!

Me: "How are you feeling this morning, Ellie?" (she was just getting over a cold)
Ellie: "Mostly better. I just have wrestle boogers."
Me: "Whistle boogers?"
Ellie: "No, WRESTLE boogers."
Me: "Um, what are wrestle boogers?"
Ellie: "When I sniff, the boogers wrestle!"

Ellie, playing with a pretend CD player asks me, "Mommy, what kind of jazz do you like? Spin-top, reguole, or not-reguole?" ("Regular" is one of the only words on this planet that she cannot for the life of her pronounce! I'm a 'spin-top' sort of jazz lover myself, anyways...whatever that is. :)

Ellie looked contemplative one morning while making a funny sound with her mouth.
Me: "What's wrong, Ellie?"
Ellie: "Mmmmm...dream spit."
Me: "What's dream spit?"
Ellie: "It's the kind of spit that comes from my dreams...and goes down my dream tube...back into my head."

I think it's called "morning breath." :)

Other random quotes:
"Mommy, I just can't live my life without you!"
"Oh, forgettable me!"
"It's MY fault I can't be a butterfly and that makes me SAD."
"I cried so hard I couldn't talk because I had HOLES in my crying." (that's a pretty accurate description of breathing spasms if you ask me!)

And a few you've already seen on FB but added for the family's sake:

Ellie: "Micah had a really elegant nap. Elegant means 'really great' in England."

E:"Mommy, when you're a little baby, I'm going to dress you in a pink baseball sleeper."
Me: "Um, I'm never going to be a little baby, Ellie."
E: "No, like when your 100 and you shrink a little bit!"
Wouldn't YOU like to be dressed in a pink baseball sleeper when you're 100?

Rob: "Ellie, what happened to your lady-like table manners?
Ellie: "I think I lost them at MCC!

Ellie, after looking for me for about 6 seconds (and in one room) finds me standing in the kitchen: "Oh, there you are, Mommy. I thought you were DEAD!"

Ellie: "Mommy, can you get Josh's pillow for him?"
Me: "Why can't you get it?"
Ellie: "Because I've got a tummy ache AND a headache AND a face ache."
Me: "What's a face ache?"
Ellie: "Like, the blood and the germs from my head are going into my face!"
Sounds SERIOUS!!

And lastly:
"Mommy, I'm going to miss you when I grow up!"


No Ellie, it's ME that's going to miss YOU.

7 comments:

Elleah said...

I love this blog post! Spin-top? Seriously? Wow!

elizsophie said...

She's so awesome! I love the way you put everything together. It's so enjoyable to read. :)

Becky said...

Wow...she is a treasure! I'm crying from laughter...which I really needed today:)
We really enjoyed our playdate the other day!

Anonymous said...

Laughing so hard it's mearly a wheeze! :) Oh my word! WHERE does she come up with this stuff?!?!PLEASE keep posting!!!

melwall said...

i'm anonymous...

Kristi said...

You are an awesome mom and you have great kids! I love the things she says! They always make me laugh on facebook!

Anonymous said...

Oh my sides!!! really...what planet does she come from :-)
Kirsta