Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Trip to Vernon Part 1 - Our 5th Anniversary!

One of the best moments of our trip to Vernon last week (at least for Rob and I) was the opportunity to really get out and celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. Grandma and Grandpa Balfour jumped at the chance to have Elianna to themselves for a night, and Rob and I jumped at the chance to get each other to ourselves...a rare occurrence!! As with nearly every important occasion, I tried to documentate the whole thing with photos:First we drove into Kelowna, about 25ish minutes from Vernon. Rob is actually a very uh, tame, driver. He likes to overcompensate for his inability to drive over the speed limit with mean facial expressions. :)
Then we spent like, over an HOUR at Chapters, just BECAUSE! Just because we're both book maniacs (especially Rob) and just because there was no one stopping us. It was awesome. I sat down on a bench with a stack of baby name, parenting, and nursery decorating books (yeah, still had baby brain even on a date) and Rob perused his favorite section: history and war and guns and stuff. Not everyone's idea of a great time, but certainly ours.
Then we checked into our hotel, one that we chose because of its location in downtown Kelowna, 2 blocks from the lake and right smack in the middle of the cultural district. The name was a bit deceiving, however...there weren't very many 'royal' characteristics we could find, except for maybe the fact that there was red carpet. The red carpet in our room had a big iron mark burned into it. Huh. A very average hotel, but we're kinda average folks ourselves. Great location. We walked to the rest of our destinations that night.So after check-in we hung out with Ogopogo for a while.
We have similar pictures from when Rob and I started dating, only that time some car full of punks drove by yelling curses at Ogopogo. Ogopogo is a very misunderstood sea monster.
And we took lots of self portraits and even kissed a little bit, too. Hey, it was our anniversary!

We smiled a bunch...
...and enjoyed the great scenery. And THEN...
THE KEG.
We love the Keg. Rob's 'baseball' steak was like, a foot thick and man, oh man, that meal was just a pregnant girl's dream come true!
Then it was off to see "The Bourne Ultimatum". If you liked the first 2 you'll love the third. We did. I almost fell asleep as the beginning (not because of the movie but because of previous nights' sleep deprivation) so I got some Glosette raisins to keep me awake. They worked. Good movie!
Oh. This is Rob waiting for the theatre to open. He was excited. While we waited we tried to guess the names and occupations of the pedestrians walking by, but I don't think we were very skilled at it. One couple that we guessed were 'Andrew and Maryanne' came and sat right beside us so I asked them their names and we were way off...Daniel and something very un-Marianne like. Oh well. The time passed quickly and we made some new friends. :)

After a relatively good night's sleep (I still woke up at 5:30am, stuck on Manitoba time) we went and had an unexceptional but satisfying breakfast at Denny's (at least the company was good.:) Good ol' Denny's. All in all, we had a blast. Time together alone is that much more precious now that it's so rare. I was really struck anew by what an incredible husband God has given me, and what a precious best-friendship we share. I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

That's awesome! Alone time is so important, eh? We saw Bourne Ultimatum too! I enjoyed it!