Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Friday, April 06, 2012

March Mind Mush

Well if February was all about firsts, March was all about Mind Mush...Mommy Mind Mush, that is. I know it's a total cliche to blame the things you don't do/forget to do/do by accident on "Mommy Brain"...but it is so. totally. true. And I'm completely serious when I tell you that for every pound of belly I am gaining, I am losing at least that much in brain material. I'm going to be in big trouble by month 9!! (Just for your information, I am only 6 months along but feel at least 8. This is not good.)

So I don't have a list of crazy things I've done/haven't done to prove my mushy mind, but I will give you a first-hand taste of how this mind-mush is affecting my life: primarily, the things I used to care about don't seem very important anymore. They seem kind of hazy, and blurry. Some days that manifests itself in my kids clothing - I don't care if they match (this is Jacki talking, here). Some days that manifests itself in supper. I don't plan it until I'm already cooking it and figure out what it is exactly that I'm cooking (this is meal-planning queen, here). Or my girl has a birthday, and I just don't care that the cake is from Safeway and will probably taste terrible - so long as Ellie thinks it's beautiful and I don't have to bake. On an extreme note, I often just don't care that my boys like to roll around in the dirt. This one is most definitely working out to their advantage.

Well, today I just don't care if this blog makes sense. And I don't care that I'm not going to take the time to edit my pictures. Okay, maybe I care a little...or else I wouldn't have told you. But I don't care enough to spend the time doing it. :)  So here's my attempt at filling y'all in on what went on here in March. If it's a little mixed up, you may need to extend some grace. Or come babysit while I nap and try to re-grow some brain cells.

1. We started off the month with chicken pox. All the kids got it for the second time...but Micah got it the worst. He was a trooper. He just played his harmonica and watched Elmo's World while I painted him with calamine lotion twice a day.

2. Ellie turned 6! CRAZY!

On her actual birthday we made her supper of choice - homemade pizza with LOADS of mushrooms.

 She got this ginormous unicorn stuffy in the mail from her uncle James and was quite pumped.

 She read her birthday cards all on her own.

 And got her first set of Lego - PINK Lego - from Nana and Bapa. SWEEET.

 Josh bought Ellie "something she will just love" : a fake nest. I hope he buys ME one for MY birthday! :)

 Nana and Bapa joined us for supper...and squashed the kids faces. They're such good grandparents.

 Speaking of squashed, Micah loves trying to squash Mr. Potato head glasses on his face. I don't get it.

 OPE! There's Mommy Mind Mush! Couldn't get motivated to bake...so Ellie got ice cream sundaes for her birthday 'cake' that day. She didn't mind. :) Thanks Ellie.

A few days later Ellie had her party - a DOLPHIN party. What a six-year-old theme. :) I DID work up a little umph to decorate. Check this out - I even hunted down two Polly Pocket dolphin toys for the centre piece. Unfortunately one played dead the entire time:

 Oh yes, and I also spent an evening drawing and 'sparkling' that dolphin on the wall. :)

 It was worth it - she made me take this picture with her 'excited smile'. :) I just love this girl. (Today, while I was cutting Josh's hair, she watched Micah in the tub, which I had asked her to do. But then she rolled up her pants, got in with him, scrubbed him down, took him out, dried him off, and put on his diaper...all on her own initiative. She's going to make quite the mom one day! In the meantime, her gift of helping sure blesses me a lot!)

 Ellie chose a small (first ever!) sleepover instead of a 'big loud screaming party'.

 Two of her closest friends, Maybeth and Emily (twins) came over for night...

 And cousin Regan came for the evening. It was just right!

Check out that self-control. Must be six!

Micah likes to wack things/people...even on birthdays.

Movie time! All cuddled up to watch 'Dolphin Tale'.

A few days after that we took Ellie on her birthday date. Here she is with that prize-winning 'excited smile':

We took Ellie to her FIRST ever movie in the theatre - Beauty and the Beast 3D! Slightly scarier than when we watched it on our lap top last year, but she only cried a little bit...

And then off to Build-A-Bear for her first time! She picked this bunny named 'Lilly' and bought clothes for her that matched her own outfit. 

So much fun and totally worth it for this occasion, but we won't be doing that again anytime soon. I can't believe you the things you can buy for a teddy bear!! It says a lot about our society, and kind makes me a little nauseated...

We wanted to take Ellie somewhere 'special' for supper, but she was quite insistent that McDonald's would be the special-est! This is pretty much all we saw of her:

I love you Ellie girl!! You are one special blossoming six year old sweetheart! 

3. Micah got funnier, cuter, and trickier at hiding. The whole family gets SO many giggles from this kid! There really are no words. Come over. Guaranteed you will be entertained.

Oh yes. He's also learned to plank. Thanks to Rob. This is the top of our piano.

4. I just love this man. Had to throw that in there. I love that boy beside him, too.

5. I found two Santas in my tub one day.


6. After hearing the wildest giggles coming down the stairs one night, a VERY pleased Ellie and Josh presented themselves ready for bed...in each other's pyjamas:

7. We've had the earliest, most wonderful spring ever...but I haven't taken any pictures outside because GUESS WHAT?? I don't care to carry around a camera (March mommy mind mush). That's okay. I'm certain I already have quite enough photos on this blog post.

8. We had a wonderful visit from Rob's parents. And I didn't take any pictures. Seriously. This is when you know something is wrong.

9. We're renovating our basement and I'm really excited about it. But I haven't taken any photos. *sigh*

Oh well. Sometimes we just need to take these things in stride, relax, and be cool like Micah...



Adios till next month! Hopefully I can still spell. :)

2 comments:

Elleah said...

That last picture makes me laugh! THE BEST! :)

Jaclyn said...

Thanks for the laughs:)I especially like the ones of Ellie and Josh in eachothers pj's and Micah with his finger up his nose. What a look on his face! Ellie is such an amazing little big girl! You are so blessed:) Great blog!