Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Learning to talk, learning to read, and learning to eat avocado...

Well, I woke up this morning at 5:30 to see if I couldn't help soothe Josh's dry cough (didn't work) and then realized if I stayed up, I could, you know, get something done! My my mind wandered over to my poor neglected blog and figured I could scrounge up enough ammo for a new picture update on the family.

So here are some (100% random) tidbits of the goings-on at the Balfour home:

1. Ellie has turned from an emerging reader into a bit of a reading MACHINE, and will often read entire books before we have the chance to sit down and read them to her. What a delight for two nerdy book lovers to see this develop in our girl! Up sides: She can read her own homework instructions or read her brothers a book when I don't have time. AND Joshy is starting to sound out words because of Ellie's example. Down side: I can't spell out secret messages to Rob anymore. Time to learn a new language!
(Oh yes, one more up side: She writes me notes. One day I asked her to stop tattling on Josh, who wasn't cleaning his share of the toy room. Five minutes later she snuck me a note which read, "He s not cleneng uip." :) I told her to go finish her own job, please. Five minutes later I got another note: "i'm dun mom". I told her to go check one more time. Five minutes later, my last note: "I LOVE MOM PS IM DUN" Hehe!!)


2. These days, I never vacuum alone. Ever. My little 'helper' is either on top of the vacuum, under it, or pushing it for me (into my heels) the second it comes out. I personally consider vacuuming my weekly workout. Did I mention I live in a four level split? That has to count as exercise.

3. Apparently praise and worship music in the background along with some nourishing (not) Kraft mac 'n cheese was enough to cause this little Cowboy to eat with one hand so he could worship Jesus with the other. Highlight of the day. Absolutely.

4. Micah would live outside if he could. Snow has only intensified the desire. The soother was an (unsuccessful) attempt to keep his drool from freezing to his chin. They should make some sort of chin warming drool catchers for us frozen tundra folk with kazillions of kids under the age of five.

5. Ellie asked me to take a picture of how excited she is to get another baby in the house.

A few days before we told her the news, I was tucking her in and she said, "I need a baby sister." And I said, "What if I had a baby and it was another brother?" And she said, "Oh, that would be alright. I just need a baby." Surprisingly, she's determined that she's going to be a helper for Micah and Josh (!) when the baby comes, and has started practicing. She's amazing. She pours them drinks and keeps them out of trouble, helps them with difficult tasks and reads to them. What a sweet blessing she is. She was especially excited when she saw my stomach muscles begin to go on their nine month holiday (a little early if you ask me...). Ellie FOUR times in one afternoon says: 'I'm just so glad you're getting, you know, FATTER, mommy."

The last time she said this, my self-control and fake smile LOST and my hormones WON and I sternly asked her not to keep mentioning it. And then I apologized. And now she just kisses my tummy. And my hormones like that just fine. :)


6. See that face? That depicts me and pregnancy cravings right now (I didn't need to take a self-portrait. Josh's face says it perfectly.) It started with feta cheese and Greek dressing. Though feta is expensive so I substituted it with (don't barf!) cottage cheese. That's right. Cottage cheese and greek dressing. Don't try it unless you're pregnant! Suddenly baked potatoes with butter and salt began calling my name last week. And as of today, AVOCADO is thing I dream of. Which I have never really eaten. Thankfully a mom in Ellie's piano class gave me instructions how to eat one today. And Rob (awesome man that he is) just bought me one!...mmm....mouth is watering...time for a small break... (no small wonder Ellie is noticing my belly bulge!)
Insert happy quote from Josh here: "I'm so happy I feel like CRY JOYING!!" (crying tears of joy)
....and then five minutes later,
"I'm so happy, I feel like eating more HONEY NUT CHEERIOS!"
(he's his mother's son!)


7. Micah just hit word explosion stage!! Totally one of my favourite stages of all time, every time a kid hits it. You say something to him, and he says it back and you're like WHA? Did you just say that!?? And it's just a little bit like a miracle each time. :) He is passionate about this little four-page book version of "Humpty Dumpty" ('Uppy Dee' to Micah) and I keep catching him 'reading' it by himself which gives me perma-smile from ear to ear. Next up: I'm trying to teach him to say 'Oba Yo' (Meaning is 'oh but yes'...I think...in low German. My fellow mennonites can correct my spelling. Anyhow, all good menno children should be able to say 'Oba Yo'.) We all agree - don't we? - that the very best part of word explosion stage is teaching them words no one expects them to know. :)

7. Board games! The kids can now play board games without adult intervention and SELDOM cry when they loose (though it was SUPER funny to me when they did...which always made the crying louder. :) The "looser tickles the winner" rule helped. I don't have much patience for Candy Land, but UNO is our current family favourite. And I'm extremely pumped about the new game we bought the family for Christmas!!


8. Joshy celebrated Movember. :) Just kidding! He wanted to be a pretend waiter that day. And all waiters have moustaches, of course!

9. Micah eats with a spoon. My kitchen is always sticky. Thankfully, he also sweeps. He's not very good though. But he DOES shake the (empty) dust pan in the garbage can, good man!

10. The kids wanted to surprise me with another decorated tree in the house. I was surprised!:

11. Did I mention Micah can now say "chs"? That's short for "cheese". And then he pokes the camera.

12. Suddenly, out of the blue, Ellie figured out how to smile a real (fake) smile for the camera! GO FIGURE! That took about three and a half years (since she learned to say 'chs'.) She set up this photo opportunity with all her favourite stuffed animals, so she can take it for show 'n tell on Tuesday...since she can't fit them all in her backpack.

And that's all the randomness I have for now. I never REALLY took that avocado break I mentioned earlier.
I think I'll do that now.
I'll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Elleah said...

I always love your pictures and stories! :) Avocado cravings...definitely never heard of those before!

From The Heart Online said...

Oh, Jackie. Your posts make me giggle. Especially the non-self portrait, and the decorated tree. Where DO they come up with it, eh?

Love it.