Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Monday, March 26, 2007

Disclaimer

So I've received several complaints lately (*cough* Nikki *cough*) that I'm too unifocused (is that a word?) on this page....namely, all I ever post about is Ellie.

This is true.

But if you look at the description of our blog up above, you will notice that ELLIE is precisely what I was aiming to post about when I started the darn page, especially because her grandparents (hi mom and dad!) live so far away in BC. Rob and I...well hey, we're still the same weight as when we moved away, we're not all that cute, and frankly we just don't learn a whole lot of new tricks these days, so why would we post about ourselves?

No, I hear the outcries of the people and to satisfy your outrageous curiosity I've decided to quickly update you all on the lives of Rob and myself these days:

A while back I posted about a job I had landed taking care of a girl with special needs. Well, it actually ended up falling through when the former caregiver decided to keep 2 of her shifts, leaving me with just 2 two-hour shifts a week - not enough! Well God, being ever faithful, provided a different job for me before I even KNEW that job had fallen through. When I was about 19 I had worked at a Hallmark gift store in the mall here in town. Since moving back to Steinbach I regularly went back there to visit my former manager. During one of these visits she and the new owners asked if I'd like to come back part-time! I turned them down of course, thinking I already had a job. So when the caregiver position didn't end up happening, Hallmark gladly accepted me without even an interview! So I've been working 2 evenings a week and every Saturday for 3 weeks now and let me tell you...
I LOVE IT!
At this point in my life I am MADE for customer service: 1. I get to talk to ADULTS! 2. They leave before they get annoying! (usually) 3. I miss Ellie and Rob so much that I'm completely energized for another week at home. What a God-send.

So that's the latest with me. Unless you want to get more personal. I've started getting up early before Ellie gets up in the morning for a bit of quiet time to read my bible and talk to God, and it's totally changing my life and my attitude and my outlook on things. I've been doing this before bed for a long time with very little to show for it because I fall asleep and forget everything I just read. For a long time now I've had this nagging thought at the back of my head that I need to discipline myself to get up before Ellie does to get the day off to the right start because 1. I'm a total morning person and can retain stuff way way better in the morning, 2. Is there really any better way to start the day than spending time with the God of the universe who's entirely huge and awesome but still concerned enough about me to talk with me? and 3. It's a conscious way of putting God before my daughter, something I struggle with, but something that needs to happen or else Ellie will think SHE's the center of the universe. Which she's not. Which is probably good. Because she'd do a horrible job of running it.

I'm reading a book that I picked up for $0.25 at the book fair called "Confident Children and How They Grow" that has this horrible, blah, old cover but is truly a gem inside. I'm relearning a lot about how Ellie is a reward from God and an inheritance...never ever a burden, like society would tell me she is. And when she's whining and cranky and demanding I look her in the eye and tell her she's a reward and a blessing and very seldom these days do I find myself frustrated or weary. And when she's whining I think about all the things that I whine about to Rob and suddenly find myself with a bunch more patience for her, and a new resolve to be thankful. Because MAN do I have a lot to be thankful for, like having the most wonderful family in the world. They ain't perfect, but they sure are perfect for me!

Woah, that sure was a rant. Is that what you were hoping for, Nikki? (*clearing throat* I mean, people? *clearing throat*)

Anyhow, how bout a little about my hubby Rob? Well, he's still working at the factory and is occasionally contemplating what it would be like to go back to school (again) to do something that might make a bit more, you know, MONEY. Not that him going to school for a masters in Greek and Hebrew was pointless in any way...no way...I know that I know that God will use that for something really important one day. But yeah, in the meantime, while we're waiting for that to happen, I think Rob's getting a bit of a hankering to put some more of his tremendously huge brain to good use. I agree. We'll see what comes of that.
He's acquired a new little responsibility at our church of putting new quotes on the church sign every week, which puts his gifting for puns to use. He's still preaching on a regular basis (about every 2 months) and loves that to bits (he was totally made to teach!).
He's also adapting really well to being Ellie's sole caregiver on Saturdays and several evenings a month. What a great dad. I love watching them bond. He's taken to calling Ellie 'little cub' and he's 'papa lion' and they practice their growling together which is very cute. I caught them doing that in Superstore today.
Overall, Rob is doing awesome and life is really really sweet right now. And SPRING is coming! There's nothing quite like spring in Manitoba...you sure appreciate it a lot more when you've been stuck in a deep freeze for 5 months.

Okee doke, my tendonitis is flaring up from over-typing (SEE? that's why i usually just post pictures) so I'm going to go catch a few winks. If anyone actually took the time to read this big long shmoz (what's a shmoz?) and wants me to do it again you're going to have to leave a comment or I'm going to assume nobody read it and you'll just have to settle for pictures of Ellie. :)
(by the way, if you're not a blogger and you want to leave a comment, you just click in the little circle that says 'anonymous' and that allows you to comment without 'signing in'.)

Adios! Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

we read the whole thing! (and appreciated the update!) I hope your wrists feel better!

Anonymous said...

I read it! (And enjoyed it!) I'm glad Nikki - I mean people - bugged you about an update. :) It was good to hear what's going on with you both.

Kristi said...

I agree! More posts like this more often! I enjoyed reading it!

Anonymous said...

my nervous twitch is gone! my insatiable craving is dissapated! I might be...maybe...yes, I think I am....SATISFIED! YAHOO! I'm healed! I'm healed!

Unknown said...

that was so great to hear from you and how you and Rob are doing... we will be praying that he gets to put his Greek and Hebrew to use. we know how hard he studied! :) we love you guys and we love hearing about Ellie, of course, but it is nice to hear from you two.

love you guys! enjoy the spring!

-cheryl, patrick and saige and (baby #2)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jacki! I loved reading about you and Rob too! I kept going further and further back into your posts, hoping that one of these would come and there it was! It's so good to hear about it all! And what a cute lil girlie you have! My niece was born on March 28, 2006! I didn't realize they were so close! Awesome!