Treasuring the blessings, one by one...

Thursday, February 15, 2007

First Time Parent Syndrome and a Million Different "B" Words

Ellie in the 'ba' with a 'duh'.


So today, on the eve of Elianna becoming an 11 month old, I wrote down her 20th word in the journal I keep for her. Then I reviewed the list. And I had to sigh. First time parent syndrome (I'm-so-proud-of-my-kid, look-what-she-can-do! syndrome) is a disease I am definitely afflicted with.
Sure, to ME this kid has 20 words. But to anyone besides her dad and I, she has more like 10. EIGHT of Ellie's words sound so similar, they may as well be one. Let me show you:

1. Baow (ball)...the most recognizable and frequently used word in Ellie's vocab.

2. Ba-oh (bottle)...sounds like ball, only different. Used when the bottle comes out.

3. Ba (bath)...repeated while running to the washroom.

4. Buh (up)...um, yeah, she's got that one a bit mixed up. I think I may have mentioned this on a previous post. If Ellie is on the floor and whining, you ask her, "What would you like?" "BUH!" Ellie says, and you say, "You want UP?" and she says, "DAH!" (which means "Yeah!") Never fails. All she wants is 'buh'. So 'buh' means 'up' but....

5. "Buh" means BUM....sounds exactly like up, but she says it at a different time. Give Ellie a diaper and ask her where it goes, she says "Buh" and puts it by her bum.

6."Buh buh" (bye bye)...exactly like 'bum' and 'up', only she says it while waving goodbye to Daddy in the morning.

7. "Buh buh buh buh buh" (bounce bounce bounce)....just like "bye bye" only more 'buh's'...Ellie says this while I assist her in jumping on our bed.

and last but not least....

8. "Bva bva bva bva" (accompanied by lots of spit flying)...this is the sound a tractor makes, of course.

So there you have it. Ellie's 'b' words.
I can hardly wait till she can annunciate more than 5 consonants.

No comments: